phw

MusicBrainz Picard plugin

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:36 am

I have created a new MusicBrainz Picard plugin for using cover art from TheAudioDB. The plugin is available in the official plugin list, so you can easily install it from inside Picard.

More details and discussion on the MetaBrainz community forums at https://community.metabrainz.org/t/thea ... gin/419484

zag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MusicBrainz Picard plugin

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:53 pm

No way... :mrgreen: I tried to do this before and failed even though I know the python basics. I'd be very interested in looking at the code to see why my attempt didn't work. Is it on GitHub somewhere?

So happy someone has managed to do this :) Thank you!!

EDIT: Found it https://github.com/metabrainz/picard-pl ... theaudiodb

phw

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:23 pm

zag wrote:I tried to do this before and failed even though I know the python basics.

Part of the problem might be that there is no proper documentation, so writing a plugin is usually best done by showing at other similar plugins. And there are not many cover art plugins available. For me it helps that I know the Picard code base for over 10 years. But that definitely should not be a requirement for getting a rather simple plugin done :shock:

The good news: We (Picard developers) are aware of that and want to improve the situation. The bad news: Lack of people and time. But maybe we'll get some progress in this regard in the coming months.

And thanks for your work on TheAudioDB :)

zag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:49 pm

Yep thats exactly the problem I had, it took may ages just to work out the debug box was incredibly useful :)

I tried to copy the fanart.tv plugin but we have slight differences and I think the port 443 thing caught me out for a while too. I got all the way to having the cover downloaded but could never work out the last step of assigning that to the cover type.

Anyway I will study the code a little, maybe I can help with the documentation in some way. Thanks again!

Return to “3rd Party Apps”